Friday, September 20, 2013

Hollywood Beginnings

     Wow movies have come a long way! I appreciate the early beginnings of cinema and the technology they used to create some of the most groundbreaking events. I remember watching the 1933 version of King Kong and just being blown away with how they did this stuff 80 years ago. Two movies I have recently watched were around 30 years before King Kong and I can easily say they are the most cheesy things I have ever seen. The Great Train Robbery and A Trip to the Moon are some of the first motion pictures ever made and for their time and even years to come were pretty advanced, especially A Trip to the Moon. Now I gotta say this... there pretty much unwatchable. A Trip to the Moon was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I did like the painted backgrounds and stuff, but the face of the moon was scary as hell! The funniest party was the cheesy landing along with the crash into the fish tank where you see little goldfish trying to get the hell away from the disaster their throwing into the tank. The Great Train Robbery was definitely the better film, but it was so oddly put together. Now back then, their were no camera angles and stuff, they would set up the camera somewhere and just film the whole scene in one take. That's what makes it so odd, like when they are tying up the ticket guy. I felt like that scene went on a lot longer than it really needed too, and not even that, the way it's filmed seems like we were in the room just watching it happen. I felt like we should've stopped them! But I guess thats enough ranting for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment