Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Grid Art Scud!

     Okay it is currently 6:30AM and I have finally finished my grid art project! I really don't know why I like the feeling of procrastination. I started this five days ago and have felt this to be one of my most accomplishing works. South Park is a show I really want to work on and it takes them 6 days to make each episode so that time frame inspires me to try and do the same to see if I can compete in an environment such as that. But anyways enough about that onto the project!

     Scud is a character I created that gets the name from my last name of course, but he's been someone I've been drawing since I was in 4th grade for tons of assignments such as this. Over the years he has changed drastically as my artistic style develops. He's a reminder of progress I have made over the years. 


     What I did for this project was use that character to create the name Scud. Of course I thought it would be super boring to draw him in the same position a hundred times so this gave me an awesome opportunity to tell a story throughout it! As you can see through this whole work, the characters are doing a ton of different things and in some way, they all interact with each other. There is even a few costumes, different characters, emotions, etc. 


     I started out by writing the word Scud to map where I would put the characters in each letter and from then on I began to pencil out the characters and ink them in. As I was done with all of that I began the coloring stage to give it a much better polish. As I work on stuff, I get pretty anxious to see the final version so often I would begin to ink them in even if I wasn't done with a letter. I just like looking at a more finished version to show the work is worth it in the end.


     The hardest part of this project wasn't the drawings themselves, it was the ideas I had the characters doing as stupid as that sounds. There are 110 characters on this work. How many possible expressions can a person play out!? Well I tried as much as I could and only a few have the typical smile or something but seriously give me a break!


     My favorite part of the work is the way that each letter interacts with one another. As you can see characters on the S and C are having a football toss on the top and on the bottom their is a duo playing gameboy connected with that wire. Or the C and the U having a pizza delivery. It was little stuff like that, that definitely make me like this so much more. Overall, I'm pretty proud of myself on completing this and can't wait for the next project!





No comments:

Post a Comment